Saturday, December 23, 2006

9 MORNINGS


Hi bloggers, I have nothing to do again! cant't sleep coz I am waiting ti''l 4am to attend SIMBANG GABI. It will be my 4th time for this year. Obviously I havn't completed the 9 mornings but its ok... Anweiz, I wonderd when does simbang gabi started? And I found out that

simbang Gabi traces its roots in Mexico when, in 1587, the Pope granted the petition of Fray Diego de Soria, prior of the convent of San Agustin Acolman, to hold Christmas mass outdoors because the Church could not accommodate the huge number of people attending the evening mass.
During the old times, the pre-dawn mass is announced by the ringing of the church bells. In some rural areas, an hour before the start of Simbang Gabi, a brass band plays Christmas music all over the town. It is also believed that parish priests would go far knocking on doors to wake and gather the faithful to attend the misa de gallo. Farmers as well as fishermen wake up early to hear the Gospel before going to their work and ask for the grace of good harvest.
source: ww.rcam.org

No comments: